PREPARING FOR YOUR EAGLE BOARD OF REVIEW
IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES
1. Request Letters of Recommendation from your references listed on the front of your Eagle Application (at least one month before you would like to have a Board of Review). Please include a deadline of the 20th of the month prior to your desired Board of Review Date to have these letters sent to the District as your Board of Review will be delayed until we receive them (click here for more info).
2. Turn in your COMPLETED EAGLE PACKET – by the 20th of the month prior. Example – if you want to attend the December board of review, have your completed Eagle Packet turned in by November 20th. Incomplete Eagle Packets will delay your Board of Review Date.
3. EAGLE BOARD OF REVIEWS are held on the First Thursday of every month beginning at 7 pm. Appointments are made by invitation only after all paperwork has been submitted and verified.
4. All Eagle requirements, this includes signatures, and paperwork (Eagle Packets) must be completed and turned in to the Eagle Committee BEFORE you turn 18.
5. Your Eagle Board of Review may be scheduled within 3 months after your 18th Birthday without approval from Council. If you wait longer than that, there are no guarantees.You must prove that the delay was caused by circumstances were beyond your control. After 3 months, Council must approve your request and you must fill out and submit additional paperwork. After 6 months, National must approve the request.
PREPARE & SUBMIT YOUR EAGLE PACKET
Put the following materials into a paper pocket folder. For a full explanation and paperwork helps please click here. Incomplete/Incorrectly filled out Packets will delay your Board of Review.
- Completed Eagle Project Workbook
- Completed Eagle Application
- Paragraph Statement of Life’s Goals & Ambitions
- List of Leadership positions & awards outside of Scouting
- Your Advancement Member Summary (printed from BSA Internet Advancement)
- Partially completd Eagle Statistics Form
- Eagle Blog Parent Permission Form
Take completed packets to your Eagle Coach for final review.
Completed Packets should then be mailed/dropped off to:
Please do not call. You will be emailed with further instructions.
PREPARING FOR YOUR BOARD OF REVIEW
Eagle Board of Reviews are held on the 1st Thursday of the month. Scouts whose paperwork is omplete and turned in by the 20th of the month will be invited to attend.
- Wear your Scout uniform, including merit badge sash (with badges sewn on). If you don’t have a uniform, you may borrow one from a scout in your Troop (not their merit badge sash :). Your last option would be to wear your Sunday best.
- Know the Scout Oath, Law, and Motto.
- Be prepared to talk about how you showed leadership throughout your project.
- Be on time.
- Please contact your Scout Leader to invite him to attend, he will be presenting you to the Board. Also bring your parents as they will want to take pictures of you on this important occasion.
- If you are under 18, bring signed permission from a parent to have your name, picture, and explanation of your Eagle Project put on our Website and social media sites.
What Happens Next?
PACKET SUBMISSIONS: The District Eagle Committee accepts Eagle Packets through the 20th of the month for Candidates wishing to have their Board of Reviews on the next Review date, which is the first Thursday of the Month.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU SUBMIT YOUR PACKET AFTER THE 20TH? The committee has placed the 20th deadline to allow enough time to review and collect missing/incorrect items, letters of recommendation, etc before the next Board of Review. Also, we need to know ahead of time how many scouts we will be processing to allow us to schedule enough reviewers. It is possible that if you turn it in late, you will still be invited but please do not call and ask, just know that we will do our best and if it is not possible, you will need to wait until the following month. The best thing you can do to help is to check through the Packet list in Scouts, Step 3 and follow the instructions fully so that your packet is complete and correct. The committee spends hours each month reviewing and processing incomplete packets.
PACKET REVIEWS: The Eagle Committee gets together to review all Packets shortly after the 20th. At that time all Letters of Recommendation that you have requested to be sent to the District Committee and that have been received are matched up with the Eagle Packets.
MISSING ITEMS: If there are missing items or information, someone will contact you to request them. If you can get them submitted before the Board of Review, you will still be able to attend. However, your Board of Review will be delayed until we receive the missing materials so get them in quickly!
If any of your letters of recommendation have not come in by the time we have reviewed your packet, we will follow up with the references. We must have these letters of recommendation prior to holding your Board of Review.
EAGLE BOARD OF REVIEW INVITATION: Once the Eagle Committee has received all the required Eagle Packet materials, you will be invited by email to attend your Eagle Board of Review and given further instructions. Usually emails are sent out about a week before the BOR but you could receive an email as late as a few days before so watch your email.
All eagle packets received after the 20th of the month will usually not be processed until after the 20th of the following month. However, if we have last minute cancellations and need to fill a spot, you may receive an invitation early.
Be sure to invite your Scout Leader and bring your parents. Plan for your Eagle Board of Review to last about 30 minutes.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU PASS YOUR BOARD OF REVIEW: After you have successfully passed your Board of Review, the Council will submit your Packet to the Utah National Parks Council, who will then submit it to BSA National. When approved, you will receive a notice in the mail that your certificate is available for pick up at the Council office in Orem. This can take as long as 12 weeks or even longer. Do not be concerned, be patient and wait. You will not be able to purchase the Eagle Award from the Scout Shop until you have received the certificate. You may plan for it, but do not schedule your Eagle Court of Honor until you have received approval back from National.
Please note: Your Eagle Board of Review date will be the date you will use for the date you achieved Eagle Rank.
Planning Your Eagle Court of Honor
Info coming soon…